Sunday, January 17, 2010

The deep end of the pool....

I'm in Wellington, New Zealand to speak at LCA on Open Source for Newbies with my ever-awesome Google colleague, Leslie Hawthorn. Wellington is terrific; very much like San Francisco being right on a large, very protected bay which forms an expansive natural harbor backed by steep hills. Misty, cool, with great food, coffee and wine, and casually dressed and friendly locals; I feel very much as home. (But I will be very disappointed if I don't see even one Blue Penguin, though I can pass on seeing a Weta up close and personal...)

But. I'm trying something new. http://geekspeakr.com/ needs to be moved to a new server and and generally updated to the latest version of Drupal. Emma Jane Hogbin put out a call for volunteers to come and get it done, so I decided that it would be interesting to come and offer up my utter ignorance to the effort, figuring I might learn something. Hence the "deep end of the pool" title....

It seems certain that I'm going to learn something, if "only" how much fun it is to sit around a conference table with a bunch of Drupal women (and men). Actually, it's a crash course in how a group decides how to migrate and upgrade a website. So far, I'm no help at all, but I am learning something, the beer is almost as good as the company (I'm falling in love with New Zealand :-) and I'm hoping to be useful doing QA later on. I hope so anyway. Wish me luck!

No comments: